Sunday, November 7, 2010

Admittedly Boring 72 Hour Essay

Because I am both a full time student and a full time worker, television is not a huge part of my day.  I did not have to replace my television viewing with any other activities because I have already replaced my downtime with frantic studying time.  Although, as I moved to the television-free side of the break room (as per usual) to finish two physics problems, I did so knowing that I had to not only to finish my physics before I left work at 12:30 am, but also to fulfill my Mass Communication assignment.  Which was different.  I also found myself using a different elliptical at the gym Friday afternoon so as not to be tempted by the multiple TVs in the area.  Overall, for me avoidance was easy to the point of pre-existing habitual behavior.

Avoiding television did not affect my social life because I do not have one (again, simultaneous full time student/worker).  What down time I do have is always dedicated to homework.  However, I do think that if my fiancée and I lived in the same time zone, this may have been an issue.  He and I do tend to bond over movie nights and Dexter marathons, so I wonder how this experiment would have affected me outside of the school year.  However, because it is the school year, I have no social life.

One fun fact that I did learn from this is that the television in the Target break room is always on.  This is because there are always people working at Target.  While many sleep, overnight workers stock shelves and hard-core cleaning crews work their magic for insultingly low wages.  And the television is always on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment